Pulitzer-prize winning author Linda Greenhouse is kicking off the Symposium with her thoughts on "Is the Pipeline Half Full or Half Empty?" Here are a few facts that she is using to frame her remarks:
- Of 163 active federal judges, 30.1% are women. In the 8th Circuit, there is only one woman. The Obama administration has made progress in nominating women to the bench.
- Women occupy 32% of the seats on the states' highest courts.
- Women held 55% of state clerkships in 2010.
- Women are 15% of equity partners at law firms, a number that has not changed in 20 years.
- In legal academia, women are 1/2 of all assistant professors, but less than 1/3 of full professors.
Ms. Greenhouse cautions against gender essentialism but also asks, "What does this all mean?"